Legacy Corps is funded through the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) as an AmeriCorps project and is administered through the University of Maryland's Department of Health Services Administration in the School of Public Health.
At Spectrum Generations, it is a part of our company mission to always provide solutions to help each and every one of our clients improve their quality of life. As an agency run by a CEO who is a retired Captain of the United States Navy, our Legacy Corps program is of high quality and is a high priority for our agency.
What is Legacy Corps?
Legacy Corps is a national AmeriCorps project that operates in 9 states at 16 project sites providing companionship respite for veterans of all ages, military families, and their caregivers. Our volunteers are trained and carefully matched with each client they work with. Our member volunteers will provide:
- 8-10 hours of caregiver support services per week to veterans and/or military family members who are providing care for a family member
- One year of services totaling 450 hours per year of service for a minimum of four hours weekly respite
- Specialized training on topics that are unique to your family’s individual needs
- Access to local resources and support for the caregiver and family members
Spectrum Generations' Legacy Corps Program can assist those caring for someone 18 years of age or older, and isn't limited to only supporting the aging community. According to the PEW Research Center on post-9/11 veterans:
- 44% say it was difficult to readjust to civilian life
- 47% say they have had frequent outbursts of anger
- 32% said there were times they didn't care about anything
- 37% say they felt they had PTSD, regardless of whether or not they were diagnosed with it.
As a Legacy Corps client our goal is to provide you with support for you and your family, to decrease feelings of burden and stress, and to increase the potential of your loved one remaining safely at home.
If you, or someone in your family, has served in the military and is looking for some extra help, you qualify for this free respite service. We are here for you, and your loved ones, to help when the need arises, and in the comfort of a home setting. With this program you will recieve weekly visits providing consistent and comfortable relationships, a minimum of 4 hours weekly respite, access to local resources and support, and more! For more information on Legacy Corps and how to get involved, check out our brochure.
If you're interested in learning more about Legacy Corps, contact us today!
Interested in volunteering? Contact Betty LaBua:
Looking to become a client? Contact Tricia Payson: