Stay up to date on Spectrum Generations and the latest news on aging in place. For all media inquiries, please contact the Community Engagement Officer Stephanie Hanner at [email protected]
March is National Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Month, and we’re taking the opportunity to introduce you to our Case Management Team who serve these members of our communities. Spectrum Generations has 9 case managers serving 7 counties; we’re here to help you and your family navigate the many complexities of available resources.
The term “intellectual and developmental disability” may refer to a broad range of characteristics or conditions. An intellectual disability is characterized by limitations in functioning and difficulties exhibited in social and practical skills. A developmental disability is attributed to a cognitive or physical impairment that results in limitations such as self-care, language, and mobility. These conditions are often misunderstood, but what should never be in doubt is that all people have the fundamental and inherent right to be respected, valued, and accepted for the contributions they make to their families, their relationships, and their communities.
With effective and responsive coordination, Spectrum Generations’ case managers link consumers to resources, enhancing their quality of life and inclusiveness in their communities. We are here to help:
- Follow the wishes and needs of each individual through a person-centered planning process
- Enable people to explore a full range of options
- Develop formal and informal supports
- Advocate for the interests, preferences, and dreams of the individual
- Assist individuals and families in independently coordinating their own supports and services if they so desire
- Be free from conflict of interest
- Support the development and expression of self-determination and self-advocacy
- Provide a wide range of available resources
When we focus on monthly health topics, it gives us an opportunity to educate our communities and advocate for needed services. If you have questions or would like more information about case management from Spectrum Generations, call us at 1.800.639.1553.