If you need help understanding your Medicare and health insurance options, our team can help you understand and navigate the many choices available to you.
Need Help Navigating the Medicare Maze?
Medicare is the federally funded health care program for people 65 and over, for those who have been receiving social security disability benefits for 24 months, and for those diagnosed with ALS or permanent kidney disease. Medicare maintains a national website, medicare.gov, where you can find out the most up to date information about your Medicare benefits, rights, and responsibilities.
To enroll in Medicare, or to find information related to Social Security benefits, contact your local Social Security office or go online at ssa.gov.
It will be helpful for you to have the Medicare & You handbook as a reference. If you do not have a copy, you can find one online here at medicare.gov; the handbook is available in multiple languages and formats including large print.
Medicare 101 provides an overview of who qualifies, the different parts of Medicare, what they cover, and when to enroll. Click here to be redirected to our Zoom Webinar (you will need to enter information (full name and email) in order to view the recording). Once you have entered your information, another window will open; press the play button in the lower left to watch the recording.
SHIP services are free, confidential, and available to older people, as well as people who have Medicare due to a disability. We are always in need of volunteers to assist with this program - contact us today to find out more!
MIPPA is specifically designed to help low-income seniors and persons with disabilities to apply for two programs that help pay for their Medicare costs.
Your Medicare number can be used to bill Medicare for services and supplies you didn’t need or want, services and supplies your doctor did not order, services and supplies you can’t use, and services and supplies you did not receive.
Senior Medicare Patrols empower and assist Medicare beneficiaries, their families and caregivers to prevent, detect and report health care fraud, errors and abuse through outreach, counseling and education.
- Consumers for Affordable Health Care: A Maine-based non-profit organization advocating the right to quality, affordable health care for every man, woman and child.
- Enroll 207.com: Your Maine Connection to the new Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Navigating Medicare: An educational presentation providing an introduction to the complex Medicare system.
- Money Saving Benefits Eligibility Factsheets: Eligibility checklist for both single income household, and couple or two-person household.
- Medicare Plan Finder: Prescription drug coverage plan search guide.
- Medicare Rights Center: Interactive, free, online resource for Medicare
- Maine Bureau of Insurance: Regulates the insurance industry to protect and serve the public. Find information on Medicare Supplemental, Long Term Care, Individual Group, and other types of insurance available in Maine. You can also access information about insurance sales representatives, rules and regulations, and filing a complaint.