Spectrum Generations works closely with Maine Legal Services for the Elderly to protect the independence and dignity of Maine's seniors. Legal Services for the Elderly (LSE) is a non-profit agency with offices in five locations, Augusta, Bangor, Lewiston, Presque Isle and Scarborough. They provides persons age 60 and over with free legal advice regarding health care, health insurance, Medicare (including Part D), MaineCare (Medicaid), Social Security and other public benefits, pension and retirement benefits, powers of attorney, consumer matters including creditor and bankruptcy problems, physical and financial abuse, guardianship defense and other issues.
- Answer your questions and give you legal advice on the phone
- In some cases, speak with other people on your behalf
- In some cases, meet with you in person
- In some cases, go to court for you
If LSE can't help you, they will try to refer you to someone who can.
Some of the problems with which LSE can help:
- MaineCare and Medicare
- Losing money or property to a relative, friend or scam artist
- Physical and mental abuse
- Powers of Attorney and Living Wills
- Housing, such as evictions
- Overdue bills and debt collectors
Legal Services can be reached at 1-800-750-5353 Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.